Checks vital signs, weighs and measures patients, obtains specimens and records findings on patient s chart.
- Answers telephones, makes appointments and confers with clinical staff regarding procedures.
- Instructs patients on how to obtain specimens for laboratory testing and performs basic specimen screening testing through dipstick and hemocult & urine pregnancy.
- Prepares collected specimens for pick-up by labeling and preparing required form(s); and picks-up lab results.
- Performs simple urinalysis & pregnancy tests as required.
- Administers emergency first aid including basic life support procedures.
- Performs simple first aid, such as dressing changes, bandaging and cleansing of wounds.
- Prepares patient for examination and assists medical provider during examination by providing necessary supplies/equipment.
- Prepares examining room for examination including cleaning and preparation for sterilization of instruments and equipment.
- Informs patients on proper preparation for various medical testing.
- Conducts interview of client to obtain routine personal and medical information, and appropriate health history.
- Maintains, completes, processes and files patients charts, appropriate forms and documents.
- Reports observations of patient to medical staff caring for patient to ensure professional assessment.
- Answers routine patient inquiries in-person or via telephone and makes appropriate referrals.
- Participates in informing patients and their families of health care services and achieving healthful safe living.
- Maintains inventory of unit s equipment stock and supplies.
- Works effectively as a team member in the delivery of care and assists in the orientation of new employees.
- Directs and escorts patients to other hospital departments and/or facilities, as needed.
- Obtains blood specimens for laboratory testing by performing venipuncture and/or finger stick testing. Inserts intravenous caths, & foley catheters when needed.
- Operates electrocardiograph equipment to record electrical wave tracing of the electrical currents of the heart muscle.
- Transports patients as necessary.
- Performs other duties within the department, at the discretion of the administrative staff.
- Assists MD with procedures maintaining sterile techniques and maximum barrier protection.
A four-year High School Diploma or its educational equivalent; and,
Successful completion of a NYS Department of Health prescribed training program for Phlebotomy
Completion of a facility-based training program in the performance of EKG